Friday, October 9, 2009

We've been married a decade today!

Wow. Is that even possible?
10 years ago today we were married.
10 years ago today we had no idea what was ahead of us other than an amazing honeymoon to Margarita Island.
10 years ago we had no children, no minivan, no life insurance, no responsibilities beyond our house payment.
10 years ago we dove into this and here we sit today…
So. Very. Different.

I had this idea to put together “The Story of Us”. I was going to split it up into sections and post it on the www.
My computer crashed.
Twice.
I began thinking it was our story. :)
and then time got away from me and I didn’t get it done.
10 years ago I would have gotten it done. With time to spare. Probably months to spare.
Different indeed.

Our life as “us” started out as fun.
We have always.
ALWAYS.
Had fun together.
10 years later, that has not changed. Paul can make me laugh. So hard. It’s that sense of humor that caught my eye all those years ago.
And it’s still there.
Only now it’s better. We don’t even have to say anything. One of his looks and I know what he’s thinking and it makes me laugh.
Hard.
I love that about a decade of marriage. Our laughter is deeper. It means more. It says more about who we are.
10 years ago it was just fun.
Today it’s so much more.

Today “we” are rooted in so much more. We have grown our family together. We have gone through losses together. We have fought together.
And 10 years ago, we wouldn’t have been able to face some of the things we have faced the past few years and made it through.
Because 10 years ago we lacked a strong foundation.
We lacked a strong faith.
Over the course of that past 10 years, that is what has grown the most.
What we have been growing in together.
Today we know we can face tomorrow because of our faith.
Not because we just lead a fun life.
But because we have grown to realize that our life together is about so much more.
We know that God expects so much more of us.
10 years ago we became a family.
And today we can look back and see God’s hand in so many areas of our life.
I thank God for Paul every day. I can’t imagine doing life without him.
I pray that our kids see it.
See that foundation.
Know the importance of it.
Recognize their need for it in their own lives.
I pray that we are a living, breathing example of how God can work in your life if you allow Him to.

Wow, 10 years ago I would have read something like this and thought “That woman is crazy!”
Different, no doubt.
I love you Paul.
Deeper, stronger, so much more than I did 10 years ago.
Thank you for loving me back.
And walking through this life beside me.
Happy anniversary.
Happy happy anniversary.

And just for old time's sake, I'm re-posting the slideshow from last year. I didn't add any new photos (but you know I would have 10 years ago!), but it's fun nonetheless.

Man have we changed!!


13 comments:

Courtney said...

happy anniversary!!! i loved what you wrote!

Jennie Peakin said...

HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! We love you guys!!!!

amy smith said...

happy, happy day...
so glad you found each other,
and that somewhere down the road, that path crossed mine.
love your family dearly and forever.
you, my friends, are beauty and light. :)

Tisha said...

Happy Anniversary to you 2 crazy kids!! Here's to many more decades of making each other laugh.

Chris/Stew; Brenda said...

Happy Anniversary!

Beckysblog said...

And Im crying.

Stop time.

It seems like yesterday that I was watching you get married.

Beckysblog said...

I forgot to add this...you know how you go to some weddings and you think, "Well that was nice, or that was pretty, or the music was amazing?"
Well at Cassie and Paul's you left thinking...wow, they are really in love.
It was like that...Im just saying.

Eric and Pam said...

happy day, cassie and paul. what an awesome thing you guys have. love you!

Trish said...

I've never seen Paul with hair, too funny! Congrats on 10 years!
If I had advice for newly engaged couples I would say Laugh & laugh often it's sometimes the only thing to get you through. Thanks for sharing your memories with us!
Here's wishing you 2 many, many more laughs over many, many years!

Holly said...

sigh...I just LOVE it!

Sarah Guild said...

Happy Anniversary! May you always encourage one another in your faith.

Allison said...

Happy anniversary!! You guys seriously have the best marriage. We miss you!

angie schmidt said...

What an awesome post! Hope you had a happy anniversary! Who is the "techie" now.........(see I don't even know if I spelled it right!) LOL