Monday, August 11, 2008

Ruling out the flu

I'm beginning to doubt it is the flu. I think Brigg is a bit hypoglycemic. He has no extra anything in his body, so there have been several occasions when he has had these little "episodes". Usually it happens during a time when there are a bunch of people around and we are out of our normal routine. NORMALLY I would feed my child 3 meals a day and even a snack or 2. But when holidays come around or big gatherings, I may just assume the child is eating, because REALLY, that is what we do around here...a LOT. We eat. Brigg does not. His sole purpose for eating is survival. So on days when he doesn't eat, he wakes up and is weak and feels sick to his stomach. He's uncontrollably shaky and white-lipped. As I understand it, I think it means he has low blood sugar?!? So I give him a banana and a glass of OJ and within 20 minutes or so, he's ok.

Well yesterday we ate a late breakfast at 10:00 or so. He didn't eat lunch and went swimming instead. After swimming we went to mom and dad's at ordered pizza. All the Landers kids were there, as well as Isaiah. He was in heaven and I am assuming he didn't want to take a short break to eat. We fixed him a plate and told him to eat, but I think he forgot. So really, he ate very little yesterday. I think today he woke up with very low blood sugar and then when he ate, it upset his stomach and he barfed. He came home and drank some water and went to sleep. When he woke up he ate like everything he could get his hands on...raviolis, yogurt, 2 bowls of cereal, a popsicle, marshmallows, a banana, orange juice and water. Really, more than he usually eats in 2 whole days. So he's feeling better. And I'm just thankful it won't be spreading throughout the houses. And hey, I often times wish he got that "food for survival only" gene from me...unfortunately, he did NOT.

1 comment:

amy smith said...

so glad he is feeling better! i feel terrible that we couldn't make him better over here...