Friday, August 22, 2008

I'll be lucky if she lives through the day

Ayla is into everything.
EV-RY-THING.
She's quick.
She's fiesty.
She's determined.
And she wants to put everything in her mouth.
So this morning I was talking to Becky on the phone and picking up the kitchen while Ayla wandered around in her walker. I had literally been on the phone no longer than 5 minutes and I thought she was in my line of vision the whole time. But all of the sudden she started gagging. I picked her up and she was breathing, but still gagging. I faced her downward and pounded on her back. She puked up some clear fluid, but nothing came out. Her eyes were watering and she would still kind of gag now and then. I hung up with Becky and kind of pounded on her back some more. She threw up that clear fluid again...and again. I thought she was ok, but I was keeping my eye on her. I had looked in her mouth 2 or 3 times and couldn't see anything in there. But a few minutes later she was gagging again. At this point it had been over 10 minutes or so. I had no idea what to do! I mean seriously, was she choking on something or was it an emergency? I didn't know. I took one last look in her mouth and found the problem. It was a piece of packing tape. It had been ripped off a box sitting in our kitchen (from the storage room de-cluttering last night). I had not gotten to the box before Ayla did. The piece of tape was about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide...almost the exact size of her tongue. I dont know if it had been part way down her throat when I looked the first 2 times, but it just gave me kind of a pit in my stomach. It could have been bad. We have a 4 (almost 5) year old and a 7 year old. We need to child proof again. This one...she's going to be into everything. And did I mention she is quick?
Scary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Glad she's ok!

Tisha said...

We had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago, with a sticker that was left out on the floor. Exactly the same, the gagging, I thought she was ok, gagging again....had no idea what was causing it. Very scary! Glad Ayla is alright.