Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I almost missed it...

We are home.
It was so worth all the driving done to 2 days
Last night I laid in bed and I had a whole blog written out in my mind.
Unfortunately, I didn't bring my computer...and it's all jumbled today.

It was complete chaos when we arrived in St. Louis. We had gotten stuck in traffic and our hotel was beautiful, but like a small city.
It probably took literally 20 minutes to get from our car to our room.
We unloaded everything and I wanted Brigg and Paul to just hop on the MetroLink and go to the game.
But I had to move the car to a parking lot anyway, so Paul wanted me to drive them and drop them off at the stadium.
To be quite honest, I was totally irritated with this idea.
But I agreed to do it.
I am so glad I did.
Because I drove them, I didn't miss that moment.

So we all got in the car and I gave instructions the whole way there on how and what photos to take.
I put Brigg in charge of the camera.
Considering my other option, I guarantee this was the right decision.
As we approached the stadium, Brigg was freaking out.
I swear I could see his little heart almost beating out of his chest under his Cardinal's shirt.
There were Cardinals flags lining the road and it was a sea of red shirts walking to the stadium.
He was pointing out everything and saying, "LOOK! LOOK!"
It truly was like his heaven had come to earth.

As we pulled up to the corner where I was dropping them off, I yelled back at him to unbuckle and climb up front because they were going to have to jump out real quick. There was a ton of traffic.
So he made his way to Paul's lap in the front seat and he leaned over and gave me a quick kiss goodbye.
"Have fun Buddy! Wish I were coming with you!" (and I SO wished I were...ugh!)
He hopped out and I was caught up in all the madness, trying to figure out how I was going to get out of there and get the girls and myself back to our hotel room 20 miles from the parking lot and I almost missed it. If I had glanced over 2 seconds later, I would have missed it. But I didn't. I captured the moment in my memory forever.

There they were, standing on the corner in front of Busch stadium and Brigg put his arms around Pauls waist and squeezed him...
with the most sincere look of joy on his face that I have ever seen.
And it stopped me. Right there.
This was the best moment of his 7 short years of life.
And I cried.
May sound so stupid to some. But I cried like a little baby...all the way back to the hotel (which was only 1 mile, but oh well).
And I wondered to myself how many of these moments I had missed in the past.
How many times had I been too concerned with the traffic and the chaos and the future to witness this pure joy on their faces.
It was an amazing reminder that brought me right back into the present moment.
I'm sure we'll be back to St. Louis again and right there in front of Busch Stadium, but it will never be like the first time.
Never.
And I'm so glad I captured it in my mind and noticed.
I love this little man. I love to see his joy. And I love to see my boys together...decked out in Cardinals gear!
(Just so you know, I cried a little bit again when I typed it! :)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

amy smith said...

okay, so i was crying half way through the post, and i'm not even p.m.s.ing.
oh my. baseball. and boys.
seriously.

Naomi Haverland said...

Baseball is such a classic American love for little boys. Rocket and Matt are watching the Rockies game right now. It's almost the only thing Rocket talks about lately.

Beckysblog said...

Uh, Im bawling.

Courtney said...

wow. love those moments! and so true that we probably miss many of them. man. i hate that.