Saturday, August 22, 2009

This and that

It is beautiful out there!!! Oh my gosh! Not a single cloud in the blue sky and 66 degrees. High of 76 today. This is my perfect weather. We knew it was going to be nice, so we decided to go camping tonight. I've done nothing to prepare, but we're not going far. Just need to hit the store and throw a change of clothes in our bag. Haven't used the pop-up for a long long time.
_________________________________

Lani loved school.
She was glowing when I picked her up.
But she did say to me, "Mom! You should have checked the weather. I was FREEZING today!" Really, how is it possible that we are getting this chilly weather mid AUGUST?
_________________________________

5 months. That is how long I have been "running". Which really isn't running, it's an extremely slow jog that some may consider a fast walk. But trust me, the way my body feels tells me it's a run. Anyway, 5 month ago I started the couch to 5K program. Because...well....all I had been doing for nearly 6 months was sittting on the couch. So the program was perfect for me. About 9 weeks later I ran my first 5K. Still hated running. Still hadn't lost a pound. Then I came across a 17 week 1/2 marathon training schedule. It's started June 22. I remember vividly. You needed to be able to run 30 minutes straight, which I miraculously could, so I decided to do it. So here we are 9 weeks down in the stupid training schedule. This morning I ran 9 miles. In a row. Without stopping. (funny little sidenote....as I was running on the bike path by the river, I had just hit 3 miles and I heard a shot gun go off. today was the HNI 5K. And I was in it without even signing up! it was hilarious!) Paul informed me that if I accomplished this, it would indeed be a miracle. And I did it. I also ran 8 miles while ON VACATION in Maine. And ya know what?!? I still hate running. And I am heavier today than when I started moving my body in a forward motion FIVE MONTHS ago.
Can you say frustrating?
I CAN!
I have 8 weeks left of the training schedule. Running lots and lots of miles. I want to quit. But I won't.
Some people have speed.
Some people have endurance.
I have neither.
BUT
I am determined. And I will not be defeated by the half marathon. I will conquer her.
And I'll feel good. Because I always feel good after the runs. Especially once my 800mg of IBProphen kick in.
Tomorrow is a 'rest' day in the training schedule. Oh how I love those days.
And camping.
I love camping.
So it looks to be a great 48 hours ahead of me.
Have a great weekend!!

3 comments:

KP said...

It is so hard to know how to dress for the day! I left in shorts and when I got home I was freezing. Just wanted to say how impressive running 9 miles is to me! That is an accomplishment in itself! I really admire your stick with it-ness!

brenda mohr said...

That's funny - I thought you were running the HNI 5K. And most days I, who ran cross country all through high school and still try to make myself a runner some days, has no desire to run as far as you need to in order to complete a half marathon. More power to you.

Courtney said...

i SO wish you loved it more now...but you are doing GREAT at training, regardless!!! good for YOU! {you've got some serious self-control...training for this...and that diet you and paul did last year...wow!}