Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quite possibly the most heartwarming thing I've seen in this house in a long long time...

Lani is starting to read.
It's hard to believe that just a few months ago she seriously could only identify about 18 letters in the alphabet.
And tonight she read a book.
Brigg was at a friend's house and Lani pulled out this book and said she was supposed to read it because she had an AR test on it later this week.
So Paul read it to her first and then he helped her the 2nd time and then she flat out read it herself. Like 10 times. :)
It may have helped that it was a non-fiction book on dogs. Her favorite thing in the world.
So when she finished I told her she needed to surprise Brigg when he got home.
So right before bed I said, "Lani! Go get your Dogs book."
And she plopped down on the floor with it and I told Brigg to sit down by her.
He looked up at me like "What's going on?"
And Lani opened up the book at read the first page. (a 3 word sentence. :))
And Brigg's face broke out into the most amazed look.
And Lani kept her head down and focused on the book the rest of the way through until the last page.
Then she looked up at Brigg and smiled.
And he just reached over and ruffled her hair and then hugged her.
Tears.
Just a simple little thing, but I was so emotional about it.
Seriously the sweetest moment I've ever seen between them.
I love seeing their relationship change and grow.
I'm so glad she has a big brother.
There's just something about having a big brother.
I can vouch for that.
Something special between big brothers and little sisters....

8 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

I can too...you know Chris rocked me to sleep as a baby almost every night! If it weren't for him Mom and Dad would have left me in my crib crying all night long! ;)

amy smith said...

not to mention, your daughter is a genius.

Candi said...

Oh you kids... I can't sleep with anticipation of all to be done and now at 5:30 in the morning I read this... I am CRYING thank you very much!! :)

Courtney said...

that is SO sweet!!!

Beckysblog said...

That is SOOOOO sweet! Love it.

Lisa Borglum said...

Oh my gosh. That is soooo sweet. No doubt there is something VERY special about an older brother!!! She is very, very lucky!

Nana B said...

I'm so glad I have my internet back because this blog just made my day!! I'm SO proud of you Lani! And you too, Brigg! I'm sure your support and appreciation of Lani's accomplishment meant the world to her...it certainly did to the rest of us! Love you guys!

Amy said...

I got teary reading that! So sweet!