Thursday, November 12, 2009

Conferences, tacos, food and life changes

Lots to fit into this post, huh!
Parent/teacher conferences tonight. It was Lani's first one. They are doing just fine.
Lani...
She is independent. Enjoys doing things on her own. Her teacher has been trying to get her and another little girl to become friends because they are so much alike. They enjoy eachother, but are perfectly happy playing side by side. They are both middle children. I think that has something to do with it. She is doing well academically. She finally knows her letters. I'm not kidding. It took her forever. But this girl is going to love to read. She wants us to read Junie B. Jones to her every day. She "reads" in her bed before she goes to sleep and marks her "Fancy Nancy" or "Pinkalicious" books with bookmarks so she can finish them the next day. Funny. She is fairly quiet and respectful, but isn't scared to tell the teacher if she doesn't "get" something. Which happens to be my biggest worry with her.
She loves school. She stayed home today and went a little stir crazy. She seems to be fine, so I'm sending her tomorrow as long as her fever doesn't reappear.
Brigg...
Oh Brigg. He's doing great academically. Above and beyond where he should be. But he IS the oldest child in his grade with a July birthday. He blurts. Thats what he does all the time. He loses minutes at recess because he blurts. Oh my. SO so sorry buddy. That might be an inherited gene. And I hate to tell ya, but you're going to have to work on controling that for the rest of you life. Dang it.

After conference we went out for Mexican. The kids were craving rice and beans and Paul was craving a margarita. So mexican it was. And can I just say that we are entering a new phase in our life. Food. It's becoming an issue. The kids are eating more of it. And it's getting expensive! I'm serious. We go through loaves and loaves of bread. And gallons of milk and pounds of cheese a week. It's a problem. I'm thinking it would do us all well if I gave up eating to compensate for this new trend.

Ayla started spitting today. She appears to be over the biting phase. It's been a while since she's showed her chompers. But today she was so made at me she just spit. Right into the air. Great. Dare I ask what's next? Nevermind, I won't.

I'm so torn between wanting time to stand still and being so so excited about the new stage we are entering into. I love that Brigg knows how to play the piano and he has a basketball game on Saturday.
I love that Lani is moving up to the next level in gymnastics and is going to start learning to read.
I love that Ayla can come with us on family outings and we don't have to take breaks to nurse her or change her diaper or locate a pacifier.
I love all that.
And I get excited when I think about what's coming in the next couple of years.
But at the same time I hate that the day is approaching when Brigg won't want to give me a kiss in the morning when I drop him off at school. When Lani starts rolling her eyes at me when I ask her to do something or stomps off and slams her bedroom door.
And I'm not even going to predict Ayla's reactions to me in the future.
It's a weird place to be in.
I'd like a day or a week or maybe a month of just standing still where they are. Yeah...a month to soak it all up.
But that won't happen.
So I'm going to enjoy them as much as I can today. And tomorrow.
And blog the little things so I don't forget.
I just don't want to forget.

2 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

I laughed out loud about Ayla spitting. Seriously?!?! You can't deny that it's just plain hilariousness!!! Ha! And by the way...Tate doesn't even know how to spit...or go on the potty. They'll teach him all that when he gets to school right? :)

Beckysblog said...

I hear you in the food department! I remember when Id go to the store like 1-2 times per week and the food would last and last...now I open a box of cereal and its gone in 3 days.
How are we going to afford them as teens?!?!?