Tuesday, December 8, 2009

so they say a blizzard is on its way...

and i kinda believe it.
we have already gotten quite a bit of snow and it's coming down pretty steady. the big storm hasn't even arrived yet.
here's the thing...i kind of like this stuff. especially in december. now if this happens in march, i'm ready to move far far away. but i would miss these snow days.
this morning i went serious grocery shopping. the shelves were pretty bare. apparently there are others out there who were more prepared than i.
i was hungry while i was shopping...so i may have overbought a bit.
then ayla and i called paul to see if he'd want to meet for an early lunch. i figure we won't be getting out much over the next few days.
he obliged.
i got a text saying school was getting out 2 hours early on the way to meet him.
the snow started falling at this point...huge flakes.
we had a yummy lunch overlooking the river and watching the snow fall. i took ayla to the potty 3 times. for real. what is it about elly's downtown? the restroom is on the second floor and i have to run the stairs each time i take my kids to the bathroom. they need to go at least twice everytime we are there.
(and no, i'm not stupid. i do realize they are playing me. that's ok. i can use the exercise.)
after lunch and our 3rd trip to the restroom, we decided to visit a new place downtown called wine nutz. they donated to our silent auction and i was excited to see the place. plus, i also know that wine will be important if we're snowed in with the kids for the next 3 days. :) wanted to make sure we were stocked.
by the time i got home with groceries and wine, it was time to go get the kids.
i remember those early out days as a kid.
and i had a similar feeling today...almost giddy.
they are fully aware school is most likely going to be cancelled tomorrow, too.
they are all bundled up and currently outside playing in the snow while they can. it's supposed to get extremely windy and cold in the coming hours.
i'm heading to the kitchen to bake bread.
pork chops, potatoes, homemade bread and wine tonight for supper.
and i think we'll end the night with a family slumber party in our room.
i truly love snow days. i am an iowa girl at heart.
(and remind me how excited i was about this in 3 days when i'm ready to lose my mind from being couped up in the house forever!)

5 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

I agree...I would miss the snow in the winter. I also agree that by March, I am ready for it to be gone! Actually, by February or maybe even the end of January! Ha. It's so pretty right now though! If only they shut down Wells Fargo as often as they close schools I would be one happy camper! I love cozying up with a blanket and my boys in warm p.j's, eating a hot meal, drinking coffee and having just the Christmas tree lights on and pure white out the windows! LOVE IT!

stew1322 said...

So happy for u snow lovers cuz we hate the snow and love the warmth. It is 80 here today and we plan to swim outside today! I never want to scoop, fall, de-ice, scrape windows, jump start a car, fall, throw a snowball, build a snowman, get stuck, fall, use an automatic start, wait for car to heat up, wear a parka, wear gloves, be chilled to the bone, fall, eat yellow snow, help someone stuck, or fall becuz of snow ever again! your FLORIDA loving brother, Chrisser!

Candi said...

Oh ya.... I love the 1st snow storm as long as I don't HAVE to be anywhere! It is fun... I got lots of ingredients and plan to get a lot done tomorrow. Today I did all my running around errands so now I'm all set! I do not like the cold, the falling, the car starting thing and lots of things about IA. winters BUT I try to find the fun & good in it otherwise... it is fun at times and I will be in FL. soon enough :)

Tisha said...

Wine! That's it! I knew I was missing something during our snow storm which has been here for 2 days shutting everything down. By now, I'm definitely ready for some wine ☺
Enjoy your snow day!

Unknown said...

no snow but 9 degrees here last night, gonna be close tonight
brrrrrr