Friday, December 11, 2009

Really...anything is possible

We are wrapping up our big Christmas push this week at the etsy shop.
We will continue to list items year round, but there won't be near the inventory that there is...and my husband and dining room are happy about that! :)
Last night I was putting together the shipment that is going out today and scraping the bottom of the last tub and ornaments and was truly amazed.
I'm not sure if you all realize how much time, effort and love went into stocking this etsy shop!
These bracelets.
They were 2 of our signature items.
I think the whole water team sports them and also all their families and friends.
The beaded part was created by Amy and the droplet by her mother, Barb.
Barb made over a hundred droplets to put on these bracelets.
And Amy literally made FIVE HUNDRED bracelets.
Yes, you hear that right.
FIVE HUNDRED.
They were sold on the etsy shop and on the merchandise tables all over town.
Can you believe that?
Quite honestly, months of hard work from two very talented women who together built a well.
With their hands here in Iowa.
Wow.


And then there were the ornaments.
Oh the ornaments.
Last year Barb pulled out her stained glass and got to work creating.
I remember the first time we saw the clear water drop ornament...we fell in love with them.
We thought it would be a good idea for her to make some to sell.
She ended up making over 200 last year.
Then in January she created these awesome Africa's for our much-smaller-than-this-year water team.
Beautiful.

So in late January we suggested maybe she start working earlier on the ornaments and make some different colors for this year's campaign.
And you won't believe this.
She made SIX HUNDRED ornments this year.
SIX hundred.
And I have THREE left.
Just three.
And there's another well.
Single-handedly build by Barbs bleeding fingers.

Holy crap.
I have these moments of fogged, blurried thinking when I get so caught up in the numbers. And nothing seems like enough...like it will never be enough until this water crisis is eliminated.
And sometimes I think that's a good motivator.
But sometimes, sometimes, it's important to sit back and look at the amazing things that have been pulled off in a year's time.
Truly amazing things.
Mothers, grandmothers, daughters, fathers, grandpas, grandmas, all coming together.
For water.
Not only changing lives in Liberia, but becoming gloriously ruined her in the USA.
I'm fairly certain every person that has created and prayed and donated and dedicated time and energy to this cause would say they were changed.
Some would say they were ruined in the very best way.
Because we see hope.
In Liberia.
In ourselves.
Hope for something better.
I love that.
I love this project.
I love these people.
So I think you should be inspired.
Because I'd say that Barb and Amy would tell you that anything is possible.
I'm pretty sure that money raised last year and this year through Barba and Amy's creations has built THREE WELLS.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you anything is possible.

So be thinking. And let me know if you'd like to be a part of this either this year or even next year.
Cuz guess what, we aren't giving up until Liberia is full of fresh clean water.
Hey, anything is possible....
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Farm-Raised said...

Great post. Actions, words, art...all so incredibly inspiring!!! Incredible work manning the shop, Cassie. You're a rock star. xoxo