Thursday, January 7, 2010

Baking and bread and Sheku and David and Africa

*update: My sister will be in town that weekend and is willing to bring the baked good back to Des Moines and deliver them there, too! So now Des Moines and Grundy Center people can be a part, too!!
ALSO...while in Sierra Leone, we will be hosted by the WMF team. We will be doing whatever needs to be done to support them. My role will involve helping plant a garden....which could NOT be more perfect for me. I'm so excited!!!
So.
What does this bread....

have to do with this boy from Sierra Leone...

Lots.
I am going to Africa.
Sierra Leone, West Africa to be exact.
And a couple years ago some girlfriends and I started sewing Africas on bags that were sewn by the above pictured boy, Skeku.
(Actually, they are still being sold on Jody's Blog. If you're interested go HERE.)
Sheku and David are in a program through Word Made Flesh.
Word Made Flesh is helping to teach them a trade so they can get off the streets and BE CHANGE in Sierra Leone.
It's really quite amazing.
So we sell the bags from Africa for $50 with 100% of the profits going directly back to WMF.
And we hear that David and Skeku love that their custom bags are being sported by women all over the USA.

Now back to the bread.
SO the opportunity came up for a group to go to Sierra Leone.
I have been praying for this country and specifically for this team of people for 2 years now. So I was so excited to actually have the opportunity to visit this place that God has so obviously placed on my heart.
Now it's pretty expensive to get to Africa.
So I was trying to come up with a way to raise a little money to help with the expenses.
Jody suggested I bake.
And well, I kinda like baking.
So that's what I'm doing.
Baking.
I am talking local orders only because I don't think it would work to ship through the mail.
But if you know you'll be seeing me sometime before March 1 (when we leave), I will gladly fill your orders, too, and get them to you when I see you next.
My friend Becky will be here next Friday and she has offered to bring back any orders she gets from her area, too!
How fun is that?!?

I am offering:
Homemade Bread (my grandma's recipe in the photo above)
Homemade noodles
Monster cookie dough
Homemade Salsa
Homemade Hummus

I am asking for a $5 minimum donation for each item you order.
I would like all orders to be placed by THIS SATURDAY AT NOON.
And I will deliver the items to your house NEXT SATURDAY THE 16TH.
(we can make other arrangements as well)

So if you're interested, email me at
cassieburback at gmail dot com
And give me your order and address to be delivered to!

If nothing else, I'd love to hear that you're thinking about our team and praying for us.
Thanks in advance for your support!!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Tisha said...

How very cool is that!???!! Wow, so, so happy for you! Your bread looks delicious by the way.
Do I count as local? ☺

Courtney said...

wow!!! where to start?? how COOL {that word doesn't really encompass it} that you get to go to Sierra Leone!! what group are you going with?? what will you be doing??

i wish i could get some of that bread! yum!!!

i'll be praying!!

Amy said...

How exciting for you!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

You inspire me!

Sarah Guild said...

Thinking that St Louis isn't local... what a wonderful opportunity to go and live the Gospel. Empowering the people - I love it!

meg duerksen said...

this is awesome cassie!!!
pam and i discussed baking too...i told her she is much more gifted than i am at it....but maybe we will. :)

sooooooo excited.