Monday, July 21, 2008

What just happened?

We woke up at 5:00 am to a terrible storm rolling in.
I said to Paul, "Geez. It almost sounds like a tornado!"
He said, "I know. Turn on the TV."
No power=No TV.
The wind was blowing so hard.

Now I am not one to wake up kids unless it is absolutely necessary.
I felt it was absolutely necessary to take Ayla downstairs.
And Paul did not disagree...which scared me even more.




About 45 minutes later Paul was on the porch trying to see what the street looked like.
It was still dark, but he said, "Man. It kinda looks like some trees may be down in the street."
Um yeah.
As the sun came up, we surveyed the damage.




It was pretty extensive throughout town and into the Quad Cities.
Most of the town is home today, cleaning up. It is 1:45pm and the power just came back on here.
According to MidAmerican Energy’s Web site more than 112,000 homes in the area were without power as of 7:45 a.m.



They say it was not a tornado, but it sure looks like it.
I think they said it was called something like a "down wind" or something.
That would make sense. You could see by the tall plants, the corn and even our plant on our porch which way the wind was blowing...

Before Paul headed off to work, he cleared off our driveway so I could get out. And the people started coming out of their homes one by one to see what had just happened.It really looked a bit like a war zone. There are good things about living in an old neighborhood like tall, old established trees. This ended up being a bit of a bad thing today. Those trees were snapping left and right.

pretty sad to see all these trees snapped and laying all over. Thankfully I have not heard of any injuries.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Beckysblog said...

Wow! That is terrible. Glad no one was hurt. We've been in our basement more times this summer than I have been total in my life before this summer! Crazy.

Courtney said...

that's CRAZY! glad you're all ok!