Sunday, July 13, 2008

oh my sweet boy...

Seven.

Today Brigg is seven years old. On Thursday Paul and I (and of course, Ayla) made a trip to Iowa City to get some last minute birthday stuff. We were able to spend some time talking about Brigg and the past 7 years. My how things have changed. It is so funny that when we start out on this parenting journey, we think we know exactly the kind of parent we are going to be. We have all these ideas and beliefs about parenting and how to raise our kids. I was certain I would give birth to an ornry little boy who would always be getting into trouble. I had all kinds of ideas about how I would raise this little boy of mine. But my ornry little boy turned out to be Brigg.





From day 1 Brigg was far from ornry. He rarely cried and he was a thinker. Never quick to trust anyone, he would look deep into your soul and try to figure you out before freely handing out affection. I remember when he was about 3 years old, we were sitting at McDonalds. A man walked up to our table and he was wearing a fishing-type hat, cowboy boots and a big belt buckle. He looked at Lani and Lani just gave him this huge smile. He turned and looked at Brigg and said something like, "Well hello there little guy." Brigg just stared him up and down and very matter-of-fact said, "Are you a cowboy?", never once even smirking. And that is Brigg. He must know who you are and what you stand for before he can enter into a relationship with you. He is always trying to figure people out. Always has been that way. If the universe is not in perfect alignment, he senses it and wants to know why. He believes everyone should be honest and fair. And if you are not, he'll call you on it. He's my little man.




And although he is 7 years old today, he will always be my little man. Quick with his wit and a sense of humor to boot. He can crack us up and put us in our place in the same breath. He lets us know when we are being unjust and what we need to do to make things right. He is always a step ahead of us and anticipates what's coming. Humor, humility, confidence, wit, loyalty, joy and integrity. My little man, indeed.


Oh Brigg, my prayer for you today is that you go on marching to the beat of your own drum. That your eyes continue to open to the great needs of the entire world and that you find a way to use your many gifts to meet those needs. That you live out justice and peace in a way the glorifies your heavenly father. I have no doubt that great things await you in your future. Being your mom is one of my greastest honors and I hope you feel that from the core of your being.


Happy birthday little man. We love you with all that we are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 7th Birthday Brigg, our 1st grandchild!! Oh the many joys you have given us and the pride we feel having you be our grandson. God indeed has given you many gifts, you are quite the little man and oh how we LOVE you so so much!! Here's to a very special day Brigg. Hope it's all you want. See you soon!! Love you buddy!!
Nana & Papa "S" :- )

Allison said...

Happy Birthday Brigg!! Holy cow, I can't believe you are 7 years old! It looks like you had a really great party! Wish we could be there to help you celebrate!

amy smith said...

happy birthday brigg! and way to make me cry cassie.