Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ugh...

It was one of those mornings. I don't feel like I have mornings like this too often, but when I do, it just plain sucks. I got Brigg off just fine with the Landers and I worked on Lani's costume hair and make-up for over an hour and a half...
You see, I don't DO hair and make-up. Somehow I needed to pull it off for pictures though. This is a big deal in a little girl's world and well, I just wanted to help Lani feel like a little princess. There really is nothing she enjoys more. I don't know where she gets it, but I can guarantee it's not from me.

So I curled and I sprayed and I pinned and I applied make-up and even wove in the black ribbon in her costume. It was quite an ordeal and I had to pull out some tactics from deep within to pull it off. Lani was pleased. She said she felt like Cinderella. Mission accomplished. (Jennie will be doing hair and make-up for the actual recital and will put mine to shame!)


So we were RUSHING out the door to get there by 9:45...the time I had been reminding myself of all week. Paul walked in just as I was grabbing the picture order form.
Only to find that pictures were at 9:30-9:40. It was 9:35. I screamed. I ran.
We pulled up to the studio and jumped out of the car and started running through a million little ballerinas. I saw a mom I recognized. "We're done. You missed them."
My heart sank. I held the tears. They squeezed her in for individual shots. She will not be in the group photo. And I spent almost 2 hours working for her to look like this...

She didn't care.
She looked fabulous.
She told me she loved how I did her hair.
I got her back in the car, buckled her seat belt, shut the door and walked to the back of the car to call Paul.
And cry.
Some days I just feel like they deserve better. Some days I just feel like she deserves a mom who can pull it off right. Today is one of those days.

11 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

She looks SO GREAT! I think you did a SUPER good job on her hair and make-up...I really don't think I will put it to shame...I am impressed! Lani, you are so sweet and look just like Cinderella!!!

Mary said...

She looks just beautiful. You did a great job. We all have days where we feel like that. But rest asured, you are doing a wonderful job!!

Sara said...

Cassie, you are a wonderful mom! I'm sorry you missed the pictures. Lani lookes beautiful. I love her hair.

Beckysblog said...

Cassie, She looked beautiful and I think you did an AMAZING job. Id totally have you do my girls hair.
And to Lani, you spent 2 hours - focused soley on her...and she got to be a princess. That was all she cared about!

Anonymous said...

i'm crying with you. i'm so sorry!

you're an awesome mom, Cass.

Happy Mother's Day!! Love you.

Cassie said...

thank you girls.
i did need a little reassurance. it's not easy being "mom"!
happy mothers' day!

Anonymous said...

OH sweetie, so sorry-that stinks, but you did an awesome job with her hair and she looks beautiful! I can only imagine how upset you might have been, but you did your best, and she knows it....love ya, and happy mom's day :) dg

Unknown said...

Cassie, I know that other people have already said it, and I have to totally agree with them. You did an amazing job with her hair and makeup! I may have to call you up should Sammy ever need her hair done up. :)

amy smith said...

she looked incredible... because she IS incredible, and SHE is incredible, because her mom IS incredible.

angie said...

This post brought tears to my eyes....I can totally relate to those feelings. Cassie, I don't know you that well, but from your blog I can tell these kids are not short on love from their mom.

Holly said...

#1 - I am a girly girl and I think she looked way adorable. (my girls are oooing and ahhing right now!)
#2 - she will remember you spending time with her in the bathroom getting ready and she will NOT remember the girls in her dance class
#3 - the 'professional' dance pictures are hokey anyway - you could get way better pictures by just doing them yourself!

I know this is way late, the moment is past, but I couldn't not say anything...you are such a fun, cool and loving mom! You GO GIRL!