Monday, September 1, 2008

Explanation...

So I have, at the very least, four people who comment on my blog under the "Anonymous" title and then sign their name. That is why I allow anonymous comments. There is something that goes along with having an open blog and allowing comments. It adds fun to your posts. Friends can go back and forth and interact on the blog. I love it. And late at night, I often times "blog surf"...that is, I click on comments from blogs of people I know and it takes me to other blogs and sometimes you just keep clicking and you come across someone or something that opens your eyes to a whole new world. It really is quite amazing. And I feel like I have met people through the blog world that have been an inspiration or encouragement to me, so I like to think that maybe I can return the favor to some unknown person. I never get way too personal on my blog, so I feel fairly comfortable with my posts and my comments.
Here's where the problem lies. Some people don't have the same views as me. They have a different perspective and well, they are not afraid to share it. But for the most part, they do it anonymously. They don't sign their name. And sometimes they even say it in a way that is on the mean side. I know it's part of blogging and opening yourself up to the www. But, really, it can ruin your day. And sometimes it can ruin several days just thinking about it. I have had a few of those comments. And I have read them on other people's blogs. It just kind of gives you a pit in your stomach. As much as you don't want it to bother you, it does.
So I have disabled my anonymous comment option. And I feel the need to apologize to those that use that option to comment regularly. Now, I believe you have to have a google account to comment. But I am also adding my email address to the sidebar, so you can email if you'd like instead.
My blog is my personal record of our day to day lives. It's my journal...with pictures. At the end of the year, I put it in book format so someday my kids will get a kick out of reading the silly things we did. So we don't forget. It's a place to find encouragement for other moms out there. I am NOT perfect. I never claim to be. I never claim to make all the right choices or have all the answers. I hope people read my blog and see that I mess up and keep trying to be better.
For the most part, I don't think I'm too controversial. I don't want my blog to be a place where people can spout off something mean anonymously. If anyone has concerns with how I am raising my kids or with what I say on this blog, they can email me privately and I'm open to hearing about it that way.
I had tossed around the idea of completely disabling comments, but we'll try this first. It's fun to "meet" people thru my blog and to banter back and forth with friends. Especially for this stay at home mom who has minimal adult interaction throughout my day.
So I just thought I'd explain. And apologize for the inconvenience to those who comment regularly under anonymous.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Did you turn your blog into a book last year and if so, how long did it take? I still need to do that. Since I don't blog as regularly as you do, I think my last 1 1/2 years would fit in one book. I love that idea!

Sarah said...

I just wanted to tell you that I read your blog regularly, yet have never commented until now. But wanted to tell you that I enjoy reading about moms like me who are just trying to make the world a little bit of a better place for our children. I've gotten quite a few great ideas from you and "blogsurfed" to find some amazing products too! Keep up the great blog!

Cassie said...

sara-yes. and i am still working on it. it kinda got put on the backburner. it's just tedius, not hard. but i blog quite a bit. i used www.blurb.com. it's pretty simple...just time consuming.

sarah-thanks for your comment! glad you like stopping by! yay for mommy blogs!! :)