Monday, September 1, 2008

Action Steps

We hear about so many tragedies in our world. We read about them, we see them on the news and we feel bad. I don't know about anyone else, but often times I feel like I'm left with a sense of helplessness. What am I supposed to DO? YES, I see that people are dying of starvation in the world, but what can I DO to help? Where do I send my donations? Who can I trust? Will my money get there?
Well a few months ago I heard about Plumpynut (read about it HERE. it's amazing). Of course, shortly after I first heard about it, I started hearing more. Mom and Dad mentioned seeing something on the news about it. It seems to be a miracle food. It is a ready-to-eat vitamin mixture with a shelf life of 2 YEARS. And within days of eating it, children who were on the brink of death, are showing miraculous improvements. So just as I felt when I heard about the international breastmilk project, I feel excited! FINALLY, an action step. Something I can do that I know will make a difference.
We have a group at our church that is made up of adoptive and foster parents. They have a passion for the orphan. They are working together to build a sort of orphan ministry. Read more about it on Jody's blog and on Tesi's blog. Big things are going to happen. Just wait and see. Each month they will be taking on something new. I know and love these girls. If you are so inclined, go to their blogs and contribute...any amount. And if you live in town, stop over Saturday between 8-2 and buy an extremely expensive cup of lemonade...all profits will go directly to buying plumpynut. Exciting stuff!

$77.
$77 buys enough plumpynut packets to feed 50 children for a day.
Suddenly it's not just pictures and news. So here's my chance. I will be donating to UNICEF for plumpynut packets. I love action steps. I love having an outlet to make a difference. People are dying...because of lack of food. That is so ridiculous. Food. We can provide it. Right from our living rooms.

1 comment:

angie said...

I admire the fact that you are taking action, Cassie! I talk a good talk, but have a hard time walking the walk. I am always impressed by you! I am off to check out plumpynuts!