Sunday, February 21, 2010

The real preparation.

Man, I have been busy. At least in my MIND I have been busy.
Daily tasks are being sent through my Africa lens. I'll be doing lani's hair and shout out to Paul, "Hey, while I'm gone, I think you should just pull Lani's hair back in a pony tail every day. That will be easiest." Then I look at Lani and I say, "Remind your dad to pull your hair back in a pony tail every day. That will be the easiest for him."
Then I drop the kids off at school and I call Paul and remind him, "Hey, when I'm gone, don't forget that you need to sign the agendas every day. K?" And after school I tell the kids, "Hey guys, remember to remind daddy to sign your agendas every evening. K?"
Every single task.
Don't forget piano at 4 on Monday.
Gymnastics at 5 on Monday.
Baseball at 6 on Tuesday.
Birthday party on Sunday at 3.
and on and on and on and on....
I have been preparing.
But last night it hit me in church...I am personally, in my heart, nowhere near prepared for this trip.
I am going to Sierra Leone.
SIERRA LEONE.
It's not Florida, people.
It's not Mexico.
It's not even Guatemala.
It's the poorest country in the world.
And I will be there in 8 days.
So last night as I rushed to get Ayla into Kidzone and was barking out orders to Paul about how to sign her in and all the things not to forget, I was slapped in the face by my heart.
About 10 seconds into Andy's first song during worship, the tears started flowing. It was crazy. I couldn't stop them. I am so not ready to do this. I started thinking about the people there and how I don't want to make a fool of myself in front of them. About these teenagers who were going to be meeting us for the first time and how I cannot even begin to hold a candle next to the light the WMF team has been showing them for years.
I just started to pray that I could connect with one. One person. That that person would look at me and see something that would click. Maybe a desire to love them like Jesus loves them. Can I do that? I don't really feel worthy of being a part of this group. Even as I type this I feel a small panic coming over me.
I just want them to be able to see my heart and how I so desperately want it to beat the way same way Jesus heart beats.
I realize I am rambling now. But it's how I'm feeling right now. Today. And all these feelings are rolling around my heart and in my head. I need to let go of the here. Paul and mom and dad and the kids, they are going to be fine. Geez. They are fine. I need to focus on the there. And be praying for my own heart. If you'd pray for me, too, that would be great.
Gosh...I'm going to AFRICA

5 comments:

Sarah Guild said...

I will definitely pray for the heart preparation for your trip but not just for this trip: I pray this for me, my children, my hubby: that our heart may break for the things that grieve the heart of God. That my heart might beat in tune with that of my heavenly Father. We'll all fall so short of that, and therein lies the beauty of the Gospel. That in our greatest weakness Jesus and his sacrifice are brought to light. So, in your humility and in your love for Jesus people will see the glory of God.

Beckysblog said...

You've got our prayers Cassie.

And I'll pray specifically for this week, so you can slow down, and prepare your heart for what's to come.

Tisha said...

Praying for you and your trip.

Courtney said...

thanks for sharing what's going on inside! praying for you all!!!

meg duerksen said...

i had the same thing.
:)
it is going to be A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!