Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Because I feel like I've been busy

I haven't let myself think too much about my upcoming trip.
Because I have 3 children. Homework to complete. Activities to be involved in.
Life to live.
But the past couple of days I have let my mind wander there for a bit.
To that place that I feel like breathes life into me.
And I'm getting excited.
I've been thinking about David & Sheku and all the other teens in the Lighthouse Program.
If you haven't taken the time to read a little about the Word Made Flesh team, you should.
They are incredible.
Words cannot express the respect I have for this group of people who daily hand their lives over to BE God's hands and feet in a place that many would be repulsed by.
They are fully aware of the American dream.
The comforts and luxuries of our country.
Yet this choose this...

(Kroo Bay...the poorest slum community in the capital city of the world's poorest country)

would you choose this? I haven't. And I don't think I would. This is why I can't express that respect. I stand in awe at their faith and their commitment. And I'm pretty sure I'm the one who's missing out on the daily blessing of seeing God work in a place like this.

Jody sent this article today. You should take a few minutes and read it. It's about Kroo Bay(this is where we are going!) and some of the people we will be working with next month.

I'm pumped. I cannot WAIT. I want to see these people work and get a taste of what they get to be a part of on a daily basis. I am so thankful for the work they do and for the opportunity to witness it in real life.

SIDE NOTE: I think this story is awesome. About 2 years ago I was reading a book called The New Friars by Scott Bessenecker. He featured many people around the world who had given their lives to live out their faith. One of the people he featured was Faye Yu. I was so amazed by her story. Jody's sister just happened to be in Sierra Leone at the time and had mentioned she was going visit the Lighthouse program. I was so excited that she might be meeting this amazing person I had just read about! Sure enough, she not only met Faye, but exchanged emails. And now Faye is the one who sends over the David and Sheku bags for Jody to sell! And now we will be working with her next month! How cool is that?!

So yes, I am excited. The anticipation is starting to get to me. I'm planning and organizing in my head. But you can be sure I'll be freaking out the night before we leave. No planning is going to prepare me for what's coming. I'm praying my heart is ready.

There you have it. A little more about my trip.

More to come on my Dad's adventure to Haiti!!

3 comments:

Beckysblog said...

Wow Cassie. That's really all I can say.

Holly said...

wow....

Tisha said...

Yes, wow. Did you tell us when you are going?