Thursday, February 19, 2009

As well as junk food, I have a hummus addiction

I love hummus. Truly love it. It is one of my favorite snacks. I can put it on sandwiches and crackers and snap peas and sweet pepper slices. I could eat it every day. A couple months ago Paul and I did a 21-day cleanse. Since then we have continued to eat vegan meals when we are at home. (we tried to eat vegan all the time, but it was just too hard when we weren't at home). Hummus has become a staple in our fridge. We always have it on hand. But it gets pretty expensive pre-made, so I have been tweaking recipes to come up with a perfect homemade hummus. I think I have it. I love it. So I thought I'd share. It's a tweaked version of something called Blender Hummus

2 (15 oz) cans of chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/3 c olive oil
1/4 c fresh lemon juice
3 TBL seasame tahini
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed (I use the jar of minced garlic, pre-minced)
1/4 c water, more or less for desired thickness (i usually end up using about 1/8 cup)
Pinch of ground cumin
Salt and pepper
Paprika (I use Hungarian smoked)

Place half the chick peas and olive oil in a blender or food processor. Pulse several times, stopping to stir with a spatula. When the mixture is almost pureed and creamy, add the remaining chickpeas and oil, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin and a little salt. Pulse, stopping to stir several times, until the mixture is very creamy. Season with salt and pepper; add more lemon just to taste if necessary. Transfer to an air tight container and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
I store it in the fridge like this. And when I pull it out, I scoop some out and do different things with it before serving.
You can add some chopped olives, or jalepenos, or even fresh basil or dill. Or you can just put it in a shallow bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika. It tastes so good with wheat crackers, snap peas, or any chopped veggies.

If you like hummus, you should try it. You'll be hooked and never buy it pre-made again! If you don't like hummus, you probably haven't made it this far!
Happy eating...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love hummus, too, and just made my first homemade batch a few weeks ago. It wasn't quite right, so I'm excited to try this recipe! Looks good!

angie said...

ooooh hummus. love it, so does jerod. you are my teacher this week... how to make laundry detergent and now hummus.