Sunday, August 8, 2010

soooo....the house

lots of questions about our prospective house.
here's a little bit of our thought process.
we had been kind of excited about a piece of property about 15 min outside of town. 15 acres. a great building site, etc. we had visions of a huge garden, some chickens and a mega energy-efficient home. using reclaimed barn wood and solar panels and maybe even a green house. we were dreaming big. :)
but we have had lots and lots of time to discuss this considering the length of time our house has been listed. and our final decision was that our dreams may have to wait. it would not be feasible to fulfill our dreams and also deal with school transports and baseball and gymnastics and piano and not living in any sort of neighborhood...completely excluded.
in the past few weeks brigg has really enjoyed playing with the kids in our neighborhood and really expressed his concern with living in the middle of a field, surrounded by trees. :)
so we talked and prayed and decided our dreams of a tiny house may have to be put on hold for a few years. and that's fine.
so we looked at 13 houses. and we were ready to throw ourselves into a neighborhood FULL of kids. a very large number of children on the block. close to the school, small yard, lots of houses, etc. but as we thought about it we just couldn't see ourselves being happy there either.
so. the last house we looked at seemed to suit us well. it's a little bit smaller than ours, but not tons. but the layout is much different. no more big old 2 story house. it's a split level. it's in a little subdivision. about 20 houses. there is a community pool/firepit/park. it has an attached garage and a decent sized yard. plenty of room for a garden in the back. kids riding their bikes on the roads.
it's on the same side of town as the ball park and the soccer fields. just a couple miles out. new roof, newer windows and doors, freshly stained (it's wood siding), newer furnace and AC. wooded lot at the back of the house and a cute little wooden fence in the front.
we are starting to love it.'s not a done deal. we haven't even made an offer yet. we should know by tomorrow around noon if all inspections are ok and we are set to sell for sure. if so, we will be making an offer on this house. and hoping they are excited about a super quick closing date...or we may be living in the camper for a while! :)
that's the deal.'s is a different school district. so that brings a little more anxiety to the issue. the kids changing schools doesn't sound super fun to them.
we are trusting that everything will work out the way it's supposed to. and we have been praying that our hearts will be content with whatever the situation.
and we are still packing. if the deal falls through, we are going to be super duper organized in this house!
tomorrow's a big day. hoping we have final answers in every area.


Chris/Stew; Brenda said...

Good luck! Can't wait to see your new house when the boys and I come back in October.

Sara said...

So, so happy for you! SO glad the waiting and showings are done. It will all work great.

Lisa said...

That house sounds/looks like a good compromise of the things you need/want.

Courtney said...

wow...keep us updated!!!