Saturday, January 5, 2008

Reading this afternoon

Got this quote from Blessed Unrest, one of my current reads (All the books I'm currently sifting through are along my sidebar). My mind is spinning today with all the info I'm getting from these books.

"No Sierra landscape that I have seen holds anything truly dead or dull, or any trace of what in manufactories is called rubbish or waste; everything is perfectly clean and pure and full of divine lessons. This quick, inevitable interest attaching to everything seems marvelous until the hand of God becomes visible; then it seems reasonable that what interests Him may well interest us. When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." (John Muir, My First Summer in the Sierra)

2 comments:

amy smith said...

okay, you know i love john muir right? i have quoted him before too. love this one.

Cassie said...

no amy, i did not know that. i actually haven't read john muir, Paul Hawken just quoted him in this book. but i loved it and think i may just have to get something written by him. any suggestions?