Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Poppies and Olives

When we moved into our house nearly 5 years ago, I fell in love with Lyn's poppies.
I don't know what it is about poppies, but I love them. And Lyn had a patch of them in her back yard.
She would tell me all about all the different flowers in her garden and is part of the reason we have a million different kinds in our own yard now.
The second summer we were here we picked up a poppy and planted it towards the end of the season, so we didn't get to see it bloom that year. I couldn't wait until the following year to see it come up.
The third summer it didn't bloom.
After our third summer, Lyn lost her battle with breast cancer.
I knew that I would be reminded of her ever year as my tulips opened up and then my poppies.
The fourth summer, as the poppies were starting to come, Paul pulled them out.
I'm not kidding.
He thought they were weeds.
I nearly beat him up.
So this year, as it was coming up, I pointed it out to Paul and said "THIS is my poppy. Do NOT pull it!"
He said, "Oh, I'm glad you told me. I thought it was a weed."
(he's not a very quick learner!)
I've been keeping an eye on it and watching the buds get bigger.
There were 3 buds I could see on it.
About a week or so ago, I came home to find the bunnies had popped off one of the buds.
I wanted to scream!
There were 2 buds left.
And finally, yesterday one of them opened up...

Isn't it so pretty?
And so worth the wait!
And I was right, it totally reminds me of Lyn.

I don't have a long, boring story about the black olives.
My kids just love them.
And of course, they are totally fun to put on your fingers.

Again, we are still working on that "pretty smile".
Oh Ayla...
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Beckysblog said...

Love it! Mostly Aya's smile, but the poppies are pretty too!

oh, and black olives = yak!

amy smith said...

the poppy made me cry.
seriously.