Friday, June 27, 2008

Playing catch

About a month ago on a Saturday Paul got home from work and he was tired. Brigg wanted to go out a play catch. Paul was going to go out with him, but I could tell he didn't really want to. So I said, "I want to go play catch with him." He and Brigg BOTH looked at me almost cross-eyed and said, "What?" Paul said, "That's ok. I'll go out with him." I said, "No. I really do want to go out a play catch with him." (Ayla was sleeping, Lani was playing in her room and usually I would take advantage and use this time to do a load of laundry or dishes or sit on the computer and surf blogs.) So I went out with him. And he couldn't believe it. Similar to the post where Brigg realized his mother was actually kind of funny, this day he realized I actually knew how to play catch. I could catch the ball. And throw it, too! Amazing. By about my 5th throw he said, "Mom, you know how to play catch!!" DUH! It's so funny the things we think they know about us. As we were playing, I looked over at the house and Paul was standing at the door watching...I'm sure thinking to himself, "Please, please do not teach him how to throw like a girl!" :) And since that day I think Brigg's view of me has changed. And I think that if given the choice who to play catch with, he may think about it for 10 seconds or so...before picking Daddy.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

that's the cutest story. they really don't think we can do anything except "take care of them" - do they??