Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nobody will ever really understand

4 years. As of July, we have lived in this house for 4 full years. It has been crazy. This has been our biggest "project" ever. And it will never be done. This has been Paul's "thing" for 4 years. So many late nights, weekends, vacations have been dedicated to making this house our home. It has transformed right before our eyes. We loved it from the moment we stepped on the front porch. And not only has Paul made little updates here and there, but he has done each project with great detail and the utmost care. From handmade thresh holds...

to a hallway railing done pole by pole.


of the hundreds and hundreds of bricks he layed in the backyard, not one was left unchecked for perfect alignment and leveled numerous times. It was almost painful for me to watch from a distance. And I'm not even going to go into the deails of that concrete stamped patio. The memories are still a little too fresh with that one...


to each 2x4 and the million of nails...


We have been thinking about listing our house for sale. We are so torn because really, nobody will ever understand the blood, sweat and tears that have been poured into this house (which I'm sure is true with many houses we have looked at in the past). Dad and Paul literally spent hundreds of man hours upstairs renovating it from one huge room of rafters to 2 bedrooms, a walk-in closet and a full bath. Every single project done by the 2 of them alone. I feel like each person that walks through these doors needs to hear how much love has been put into each and every room. And don't even get me started on the amazing neighbors we have here. The friends that have made...and the trials we have been through with them and then even losing Lyn to cancer.

But this just may be the house that has pushed us over the edge. We have always owned homes that need "work". But this has been so much more than that. And one day we just woke up and felt like saying..."We're done. We're kinda ready to move on." So instead of working on a project, maybe we can do nothing for a day on the weekend. I don't know. We are having mixed feelings. So we're thinking about it. And tossing around ideas in our head. We'll see what happens here in the near future. Until then, we have been reminiscing about the past 4 years and "The House the Paul Built"! (and dad, too!!)
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to express how amazed I am by this man and how proud I am of who he is and what he does. So thankful for his hard work to provide for his family. I don't deserve him.

View this montage created at One True Media
The house that Paul built


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

It does make me sad, but would love it if everytime I see what you guys are doing, you don't have to say "working on a project at home." I don't even know if I've known of a Paul without a project in progress!

Allison said...

Oh Cassie your house looks great! Paul has done an awesome job on all of the projects! Good luck on your decision. I know you guys will make the right choice!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I feel a bit teary about it all too... going through that video takes me back, wow!! Such hard work and love into that house.... It is a constant work in progress though I know. What will be will be.... God bless it!! :-)

Heather said...

i know of a great acreage that is for sale :) and i'm sure the owners would make you a GREAT deal :)