Friday, June 27, 2008

Adam and Eve on the golf course

We have this book called The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name. It's a great book. On nights when we are home, the kids will each pick a book for us to read to them and I'll read them a story from this book. It's some of the main stories from the bible, but written in a kid-friendly (AND cassie & paul-friendly) way. So last week we read the story of Adam and Eve. The kids kind of giggled when it said something about Adam and Eve being embarrassed after they ate the fruit because they were naked. (I think just the word "naked" cracked the kids up). Anyway...fast forward a couple days.
Brigg was golfing at golf lessons and he duffed it. He walked up to the cart and said to me with wide eyes, "Mom, that was totally embarrassing." (there are 3 other kids in our group and their parent). I kind of brushed it off and reminded him that this was just for fun and everyone has a bad shot now and then. Didn't think another thing about it and we finished out the hole.
Fast forward to today...another Friday golf lesson.
We pulled up to Hole 2 and this is our conversation:
Brigg: Oh great. This is the hole that I was so embarrassed on last week.
Me: Brigg, that's just silly. There is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Brigg: Why was I so embarrassed?
Me: I have no idea, Brigg. You shouldn't have been.
Brigg: It's all because they ate the fruit.
Me: What? WHO ate the fruit?
Brigg: Adam and Eve. I was embarrassed because they ate the fruit. People didn't used to feel embarrassed until they ate the fruit. Why did they have to eat the fruit? Why didn't they just listen to God?

Well, I guess that's quite the perspective from a six year old!

3 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

Seriously! He is the sweetest thing ever!!! I can't even believe some of the things he says!

Beckysblog said...

That is the best. And I totally agree. If they hadn't eaten the fruit my last week of pregnancy would be much different! :)

Sally Lloyd-Jones said...

Cassie
I'm the author of The Jesus Storybook Bible and I came across your blog via a google alert thing and wanted to stop by and say Hi.

Thanks for sharing the story about Brigg on the golf course. Pretty incredible. And PTL!

How thrilling for you.

And for me it's so exciting to hear and such an encouragement too. And to hear how you are enjoying the book. It's God's Wonderful Story and my honor to have had a part in retelling it for children.

Anyway, my best to you all

Sally
sallylloyd-jones.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/sally-lloyd-jones/29128179904

PS you may be interested to know about some cool resources on my site connected with the book, including audio of me reading the stories, downloadable stories, interviews and reviews--as well as other new children's books that Brigg may enjoy