Monday, March 10, 2008

Sad News


About a month or two ago I posted about a little girl named Phoebe from Sierra Leone that we sponsor. We sponsor her through Children of the Nations and picked her through some amazing connections. Over the course of the past 7 months or so, Phoebe has worked her way into a very deep part of our hearts as a family. The other day Lani walked into the kitchen and asked if she could send two bracelets to Phoebe...a blue one and a pink one. When I asked her why she wanted to send those colors she said, "Because blue is her favorite color (which we had only talked about one time in September when we got her profile in the mail), and pink is MY favorite color!" So of course I said yes and I placed those 2 bracelets on top of the fridge to remember to send them in our next letter.

Today when I went to our mailbox I found a hand-written envelope in the mail from Children of the Nations. I was excited thinking it was an update on precious Phoebe. Much to my surprise, and great sadness, I found a letter informing us the Phoebe had passed away on February 27th. She contracted a lung infection and was taken to the hospital and later passed away. I am deeply saddened by this news. Because I had recently shared how we had fallen in love with this little girl on the other side of the world, I thought it only appropriate to share the news of her passing. She suffered tremendously while here on earth and I can only pray that she was somehow blessed by our few letters, as we were SO very blessed by her life. I pray that she felt the love being sent around the world to her. I find some comfort in the fact that she is no longer an orphan...she is in the presence of her maker and her ETERNAL father. She is at peace. And until the day we meet again, she will remain in the deep place in our heart. Much love to Phoebe!

(And I would like to add that I was very touched with the way COTN handled the situation and notified us in such a timely manner. They also had a handwritten note on the letter that was sent to us. For more information on sponsoring a child through them click here)

5 comments:

amy smith said...

oh cassie, i am in tears. can't wait to meet her someday.

Beckysblog said...

So sorry for you and sweet Phoebe.

hotflawedmama said...

I'm sooo sorry to hear that, Cassie! But you are so right, she is living in a BEAUTIFUL place right now with none of the pain she felt in this life!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry! Now she truly has her 'forever family'.

Unknown said...

That is very sad news, Cassie. We're thinking of you guys, and of Phoebe.