Monday, May 31, 2010

An unlikely pair...

Life is funny.
There are seasons.
I am one of those people who has a few really really good friends.
I love lots of people, but only get real deep with a few.
And it seems like in each season of my life there is one that stands out.
If you are one of those friends, you know who you are.
I'm not afraid to tell you. :)

Six years ago, one of those friends appeared in my life.
And it could only be a friendship ordained by God.
Because on paper, we could quite possibly be the most unlikely pair.
She is quiet and an introvert.
She thinks before she speaks and "laughs on the inside".
She hates beer and sports bars and college football and mushrooms and olives.
She never wears sunglasses. (at least she used to never wear sunglasses.)
She's not a fan of planning crafts with her kids or baking.
She prefers time alone and silence over parties and noise.
She doesn't garden or recycle and she throws away her pop cans. (can you IMAGINE?!?!)
Nearly my perfect opposite.
Theoretically we should be enemies.
Or at least think eachother is ridiculous. :)

But we are not.
She is one of "those" friends.
I think because the things we are passionate about run deep.
Jesus.
Water.
Orphans.
Neighbors.
Africa.
The least of these.
Compassion.
Hope.
Our families.
We have so much to talk about...

We've been all over together.
The city, the ocean, the mountains and to Africa and back.
Not a single day goes by that I don't see her or talk to her or text her.
If it does, something must be wrong.
Such a huge part of my life.
She has made me better.
I am not the same person I was 6 years ago and Jody is a big part of that.
She has been this gift given to me during a time when I was teetering on a scary edge.
A lifeline.
And I hope I have been the same to her.

But the season is changing.
And Jody is leaving.
My friend.
My confidante.
My "person" for the past six years.

I'm super sad.
(how's THAT for expressing how I feel?!?)
Beyond sad.
No words to describe the sadness.
But the time has come and our lives are taking different paths.
Not sure what the future looks like for either of us.
But I know we will always be a huge part of each other.
Just like those other friends over the course of my life.

So very thankful that God saw our potential together.
That we didn't find each other ridiculous.
Life has been better because Jody was in it these last years.
Friends forever.
No doubt.
Love you, friend.
I'll miss you like crazy.
But have not a single doubt you will be doing big things wherever you end up.
Oh, and I'll be calling, texting and emailing regularly.

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

jody said...

UGH!!!
You may not do that.
Do not do that.

But since it's too late to stop you...
I love you too.
I'll talk to you in the morning...

Candi said...

I have seen your unlikely friendship, felt it and watched from the outside. God does funny things and it is not always as we'd want it to be but you will remain deep friends nomatter what...even far apart. It is a gift to feel that way with another individual. Such is life though, things never stay the same. Hold on to the precious friendships, love with no boundaries and thank God for the gifts he gives us. I too have learned a lot from you dear Jody... from your posts, your family, your example and your love for all!! Bless you sweet girl, God bless you & yours!! Love you two friends forever...no matter where you are.

Beckysblog said...

That made me cry.

Cassie said...

me too, becky.
me too. :(

Trish said...

Alright Cassie, I'm back at work today, trying to be professional
& look fabulous (which is hard to do when your almost 7 months pregnant)I go to your blog read it & then start bawling like a baby. Makes me want to call my 2 best buddies!!! Thanks for sharing!

Naomi Haverland said...

So maybe you should move to Colorado too. But, I throw away my pop cans too. But when company comes over and they finish a pop and say "where should I put this?", I say "oh just leave it on the counter" and then when they leave I throw it away, so they don't know. I've been meaning to change that for a while. If it meant you'd visit, I'd definitely change it.
I know how you feel. My Jodi is leaving me too- and she's moving to Scotland! I'm a little bit in denial so I haven't blogged about it yet.

Amy said...

Sad for you both.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry :( Not a fun thing to go through at all. I wish I could make it better. xo - Leah

Cassie said...

but naomi, do you have a $.05 refund for your cans?? really...no reason to throw them away here. they are worth MONEY! :)

Heather said...

that was very sad :(

Eric and Pam said...

hey, i took that picture! :)

nothing and no one can break that bond.

this might be too much christianese for ya but back in the 80's michael w. smith had that song "Friends Are Friends Forever." i am picturing you singing that karaoke and it's making me crack up and smile. i've mocked that song a lot but the words ring so true.

Sarah Guild said...

You said it so well, "your person". I have been the one leaving my "people" three times, and it hurts like crazy. It makes me grumpy, sad, restless, and the list goes on. For the good news: these "people" are still my people. Even though I left them. Whatever you've been through together, your crazy connection to someone you love deeply is forever (as I know you realize!). Whether they like it or not. I've decided to consider myself lucky that it hurts like crazy because so many never find "people".

As I wrote this I stopped to pray that you would both be ready for the next part of the ride...