Wednesday, September 23, 2009

this is where i hang my head and tell you...

...that i am letting "her" defeat me.
the half-marathon, that is.
i hate her.
and i am getting old enough to know when i should bow out.
this is the time.
the days are gettings shorter and my training runs are getting longer.
it HURTS for me to run these long distances. and i am talking lots of miles a week.
since labor day i haven't felt like i could run.
my shins are killing me.
i haven't run a "long run" (8 miles or more) since then.
and i don't feel like my body can do it yet.
which means i don't feel like i'll be prepared on oct 18.
i'm not quitting running. just running these long distances.
and maybe if i keep up the running, my body will be more prepared next year.
but for this year....she wins.
and it wasn't until this morning that i was ok with it.
whew...earase that off my list. that's a relief...

4 comments:

Candi said...

There is NO doubt you accomplished much more in running than I ever dreamed of for myself or any of my children with the horrible body flaws I have and probably somewhat handed on down... yikes! I was very impressed how you were SO driven and self disciplined but think you may have tried too hard too fast... I think looking for next year to be the one is much more doable!! If not, the only one you've let down , is yourself!!! I commend you for all your effort!! You do amazing things Cassie!! Proud to call you my daughter! :)

Jennie Peakin said...

Seriously, I don't think I'd be hanging my head about the running you've done! I would be blogging to the world if I was able to run 3 blocks without falling over dead! :)

Courtney said...

NO hanging that pretty head of yours! you can RUN! that's HUGE!!!

angie said...

Cassie... she did not defeat you. Life happened, and it sounds to me that with your shins hurting like that you would be running towards an even greater injury if you pushed yourself too hard. Raise your head up, be proud of trying and busting your tail, and for making a good choice NOT to run it.

I know peeps that cannot hardly jog out to their car. You have run miles at a time. That is a huge accomplishment in itself.