Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Shopping and Parties and Such

I love parties.
I love hosting parties.
I love attending parties.
And I love planning parties...that comes a close second to attending parties. :)
I was thinking about it today. Thinking about why I love them. And what it exactly is that gets me excited about parties. And it's the people. The activity. The escape from reality.
As I thought more about it, I realized it's not just parties. It all things highly active.
Bars/restaurants.
Concerts.
Church right after the service.
When everyone is chatting and laughing and music is playing in the background.
I love that!
I've decided that it is my escape. Some people watch TV. Some people play computer games. Some people read (strangely enough, reading is right behind parties for me!).
I party.
HA!
It's usually just a couple hours and I always feel such a sense of relief after I've spent time with lots of people and lots of noise (adult noise) and lots of activity.
It's my escape from reality and it allows me to unwind and prepare for the next day of real life.

I hate shopping.
Well, I take the back. I love internet shopping. I hate going to the stores. I hate trying on clothes and picking out what looks best. I hate waiting in lines. I hate all the shopping activity. I hate wondering around a store for hours. And I'm pretty sure my mom hates shopping with me. I'm not a fun shopper. I don't go to the stores often and when I do, I am on a mission. I know exactly what I need and how much money I have to spend on it. I know approximately how long it should take, it if it takes longer, I get crabby. I hate shopping.

That is, unless I am party shopping. I then I love it.
And today I party shopped. Planning a baby shower for my sister-in-law. We picked out decorations and plates and talked about food and cakes and all things party. It was so fun.

I think I was a party planner in a previous life.
Anyway, I just wondered what your escape was? What do you do? Because really, party planning and shopping is not very realistic...and not in my budget on a weekly basis! :) What's your stress-reliever?

6 comments:

Jennie Peakin said...

Okay...you and I are pretty much opposite. I hate parties and loud, busy places with music in the background. I think it's okay on occasion, but not frequently. I hate packed places filled with people I don't know...it's not so bad if I'm with a large group of people I know and am comfortable with, but a bunch of strangers in a bar with loud music and people bumping into me. Ick...that makes me anxious just thinking about it! I LOVE shopping! Everything about it...love it! I LOVE throwing gatherings and parties though...entertaining is one of my favorite things to do!

Tisha said...

Reading about your relaxation is relaxing :)
I enjoy hanging out with people too-although only people I really like, in smaller groups, not so much in noisy and crowded places.
Also like solitude-like long hot baths and walks or jogging alone.
Playing games!! LOVE to play games!

Beckysblog said...

My life is your relaxation.

Please come plan my party for me...the one I have this Thursday - its a luncheon and style show.

Im way too tired.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I will try to leave a comment!! :) i love parties, bars, concerts, people havin' fun! I don't like to plan anything!! I don't like to host anything-I would rather show up and help while I am there. I worry about people not having fun and if there is enough of this or that. As long as I am not in charge-I'm happy! Now, that's not what you asked, is it?! I LOVE to go for a long drive all by myself with some great music-that way i can listen to it LOUD! Oh, and I love to walk my boomer at the river/beach! There-hows that Cassica? Love you!

Cassie said...

i wish i could plan your party for you, becky!!

i love you, too, donna!
i, too, love being in the car by myself, jamming out to MY OWN music. singing at the top of my lungs. good times! :)

Candi said...

You kids get both your traits from me! I LOVE shopping...it excites me, all the presentation of new things displayed cleverly or the array of colors and textures, like in a fabric store, makes my heart dance!! I love the hunt, a bargain found makes me giggle a bit and I love entertaining and decorating and the anticipation of the "event" and the hopes that people are feeling loved and special for all my creative attempts!! BUT, like Jennie, I am a bit apprehensive in strange crowds with lots of noise and the worry that goes along with being out of control of a situation...don't care for too much intensity in groups. Love to look at nature and dream I guess. Nature puts all right with me, gazing at clouds and landscapes and all the beauty of the earth...sigh! I love the personalities that are so very different of my grandchildren too and can relive any given moment over & over as I go along my hum drum day, when hum drum happens that is!! :) I love most of all to share with my family & friends, chatting talking and laughing about real life "stuff" !! I am a simple person really, with simple pleasures!! I am visual in all my delights too... love looking at reactions, and eyes and expressions and watching one's joys! Whew, I need to STOP! I got a bit too wordy... :) Better get busy!! I have noodles to make, LOTS of noodles!! ;-)