Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I can't remember...

I've watched the video below several times today. Each time more powerful than the previous.
Between laundry and baking and bathing Ayla and making lunch...I watched.
And I started thinking about what I would have thought watching this video before I had been there. I know I would have felt compassion and love and a slight ache. But not this.
I know I wouldn't have felt this.
So torn between two worlds.
Such a love for both.
Living with plenty and eyes opened to those with want.
It's strange.
I'm letting my heart go back there today and it's difficult.
Right now the sun is setting in Sierra Leone.
40% of the girls in Kroo Bay prostitute themselves.
They are desperate.
It's hard to imagine being so desperate that you could do that.
Until you've been there.
And now I'm trying to live with the reality of it all.
As hard as it is, I'm so glad I saw.
I'm glad my eyes are hurting and my heart beats faster as I think about it.
My life will never be the same.
I'm thankful for the opportunity to support those heroes living amongst the poor in Sierra Leone. What an honor to have met them and seen them in action and know that their work is changing lives in Kroo Bay.
What a painful, glorious blessing this trip has been in my life....

2 comments:

Eric and Pam said...

amen. so well said, cass.
i've watched it over and over too! the words in the song just bring out the pictures too.
good job, kari. good job!
i miss africa.
all except for the sweat. :)

meg duerksen said...

cassie!
i am feeling the same!
i am with pam about the sweat. ugh.
i miss it.
i want to be there.
i loved it.