Thursday, April 23, 2009

What kind of person do you want to be?

In different times and in different ways, our heavenly Father offers us a
simple proposition: Follow me beyond what you can control, beyond where
your own strength and competencies can take you, and beyond what is affirmed or risked by the crowd--and you will experience me and my power and my wisdom and
my love.
Jesus beckons me to follow him to that place of weakness where I risk
the vulnerability of a child so that I might know how strong my Father is and
how much he loves me.
But truth be told, I would rather be an adult. I'd rather be in a
place where I can still pull things together if God doesn't show up, where I
risk no ultimate humiliation, where I don't have to take the shallow breaths of
desperation. -Gary Haugen, Just Courage (you should read it!)

I often find myself asking my kids, "What kind of person do you want to be?"

Maybe I need to ask myself that same question...

3 comments:

Courtney said...

wow. just finished "crazy love" - same kind of statements in there. the kind that make you squirm...

Sarah Guild said...

Parenthood has taught me more about relinquishing control than any other single thing in life. God uses children powerfully in the lives of their parents...

Beckysblog said...

I think He asks me that every single day, numerous times.
I might need to grab that book!