Sunday, April 12, 2009

Silk-Dyed Eggs

Stole this idea from Leslie.
Turned out fabulous!
Paul literally spend the WHOLE morning on Saturday trying to find 100% silk in this town.
We tried Goodwill and the local fabric store. (they had solid, but no patterns).
Paul finally found a few ties at Salvation Army.
We cut them up, wrapped the pieces of silk around the eggs.
Wrapped the silk-wrapped eggs in a cut up cotton t-shirt and boiled them in water and 3 TBL vinegar.

The best part was unwrapping them.
And it was quite obvious that ONE of the ties made the best eggs.


It was a deep colored paisley tie.
Click on the photo below and you can see more detail.
It truly was amazing how detailed they came out.
This will be an annual event, I'm sure.
Only I will be keeping my eye out for bold colored silk ties a little earlier than the day before Easter!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Trish said...

Very cool, way to go!

steffany said...

that's really cool.

Unknown said...

Those are amazing! I've never heard of such a thing. Cool!

Farm-Raised said...

Fabulous, indeed! Good work! You have a very sweet husband!!

Sarah Guild said...

Very cool. Our egg dying was a disaster... I'm trying this next year.

Naomi Haverland said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cool!!! My friend Jodi and I are looking at this, and we want to try it now even though Easter is over.
Don't look at the boring eggs on my blog. You seriously are full of the best ideas.