Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Moments

As I sit here thinking about Sierra Leone, these same moments keep coming to mind.
There were probably 4 or 5 specific moments that will be burned in my brain forever.
I can put myself right back there and feel how I felt right in that moment.
I'm so afraid those vivid memories are going to blur in the months to come, so I want to get some of them down here. For my memory's sake.
The first one came the day we went down into Kroo Bay to do home visits.
We had split up into 3 groups.
I was in the group heading down into the bay.
It was Teresa, Sheila and myself heading down with Jan. (pronounced YAWN)
As a sidenote...you must know that I adored Jan. He was UHmazing.
Truly.
This man could PRAY.
And to see him in the Bay was incredible.
I might have to say I have never in my life seen someone who was so in his element. Working so hard for GOD. He was a beam of light in Kroo Bay. He had built relationships and genuinely loved these people. I want to be like him when I grow up. :)

Anyway, before we headed down, we were standing out on the balcony of a house rented by Word Made Flesh.
It overlooks Kroo Bay.
This is what we were seeing...

And Jan pulled out his bible.
He informed us that we would be praying into scripture.
And he gave us each a bible and told us to turn to Isaiah 61. (click on it to read the whole chapter)
Then he took off.
Wow.
We prayed through the whole chapter and Jan led the way.
I have never heard anyone that confident about change in such a desperate place.
Emphasizing parts like...

"He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners"

and...

"to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair."

then on to...

"Instead of their shame
my people will receive a double portion,
and instead of disgrace
they will rejoice in their inheritance;
and so they will inherit a double portion in their land,
and everlasting joy will be theirs."


All while looking at these surroundings.
Can I tell you how powerful that was?
How the tears poured down my face and how humbled I was?

I don't know if I can explain how these verses took on new meaning in Sierra Leone.
How the BIBLE took on new meaning.
I don't know about you, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense. I cannot wrap my mind around those kinds of words.
And I'm sure I am not writing this in a way that can explain the difference.
But THE WORD of GOD changed for me that week.
It was real.
It was ALIVE.
It was so crazy.
I have said this numerous times since my return, and I'll say it again.
There were moments when I
could.
not.
breathe.
I just couldn't. It was all too overwhelming.
Like this moment...
I was DYING here, people.
Broken in a way that I didn't know existed.
This child was sleeping on my shoulder. I was drenched in sweat.
And my tears were soaking his head.
I tried to turn around and catch my breath...get myself grounded...and all I could see were the scenes from the above photos.
Finally, I just dropped my head and allowed those words to sink in deep.
I couldn't remember the full verses, but words just came into my mind.
Phrases.
"Instead of disgrace, they will rejoice"
"People the Lord has blessed"
"Praise will spring up above all nations"
"RESTORE! REBUILD! RENEW!"
And I just closed my eyes and rested in His promises.

When I opened my eyes and lifted my head, I could breathe again. (kind of)

I can honestly say that I will never view the Bible the same again.
I touched it, smelled it, tasted it, heard it.
The Living Gospel right there in the middle of the biggest slum in the poorest country in the world.
Wow.
And this was just one of those moments that week....

5 comments:

Eric and Pam said...

i read this last night. and pulled it up again this morning. so well said, cass. just want to experience that week again. the same way. :)

love you.

Daren said...

WOW!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

very powerful. very life changing. I can't even imagine

Courtney said...

that was so beautiful! thanks for sharing. you DID share it in a way that i GOT it...

Tisha said...

You did share it well. Been thinking about it ever since...
Thanks.