Saturday, January 19, 2008

Phoebe

There is a little girl named Phoebe who lives on the other side of the world, but has somehow worked her way into the hearts of a family in Iowa and made us think. Last summer Jody's sister and brother-in-law, Joanna and Taylor, spent 3 weeks in Sierre Leone, Africa, visiting a friend and working with Children of the Nations. Upon their return, they had hundreds of amazing photos to share. One photo/story stuck out to me and I couldn't stop thinking about a 5 year-old little girl named Phoebe. Phoebe has cerebal palsy. She lives in a home that Joanna's friend, Sarah, worked at for a year through Children of the Nations. Phoebe does not talk and rarely interacts with the other children in this school. When I saw a photo taken of her my heart broke. And now, I cannot erase this little girl from my mind. A couple months after Joanna and Taylor's return, they informed Jody that Phoebe was available to be sponsored. That night I got online and signed up! We were sent a packet in the mail and we introduced Brigg and Nalani to Phoebe through her photo and a short introduction that told us about her. Over time she captured their hearts as well. Not a day goes by that we don't pray for Phoebe. I find myself thinking about her and praying that she feels an overwhelming sense of love blanketing her in her small room in Sierre Leone. We send letters monthly and they get read to Phoebe. We tell her she is loved. Funny how we thought we would do a good deed by sponsoring this child and in all reality, she has changed our hearts forever. Everytime we walk by her photo, we send up a prayer for her. Tonight I am thanking our Father for allowing this 5 year-old little girl on the other side of the world to break our hearts...
"Throughout history, an authentic faith has been marked by a compassionate reponse toward those the world tends to forget." (Gary Thomas)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Cassie, why do you always make me cry. I think that is a wonderful idea and should make you smile every time you look at her photo. I just want to reach out and give little Phoebe a hug.

gale

Anonymous said...

I think we'll all love Phoebe now and more importantly pray for her.

Sarah Saunier said...

Jody gave me the link to this post. Thank you so much for loving Phoebe. She is a precious little girl. I learned so much from her in my interactons with her. She is vulnerable and so dependent upon others and I think that we can learn that is how Christ wants us to be dependent on him. Thank you for being a voice of advocacy for Phoebe. Thank you for giving her a voice. Thank you for allowing the world to know who she is. Every person that has met Phoebe has been touched my her life. Thank you for loving her. Thank you!

Cassie said...

thank YOU, sarah!
ripples...

Taylor and Joanna said...

I somehow missed this post. But it was what i needed to hear this week. Recently, I can't get Phoebe out of my mind. This past week I have had the desire simply to sit by Phoebe. To sing worship songs to her. To give her company. I don't understand why her physical body is so broken, but I am thankful that God has used her to break me. Thank you for loving her and not letting me forget her.